- We'll get an overview of UPPMAX and SNIC/NAISS and how a computer cluster works
UPPMAX = UppMACS - Uppsala Multidisciplinary Center for Advanced Computational Science
- National Academic Infrastructure for Supercomputing in Sweden
Mission: to provide a quality high-performance computing environment nationally
Starting 1 January 2023, the National Academic Infrastructure for Supercomputing in Sweden (NAISS) is the new organization for high-performance computing, storage, and data services for academic users in Sweden.
- From the users' perspective, there will initially only be minimal differences between the SNIC and NAISS regimes.
- FAQ:s — https://www.naiss.se/
- Application rounds: https://www.naiss.se//#application-rounds-for-compute-and-storage-resources
- NAISS and Uppsala University fund UPPMAX — UU's supercomputing center.
- Runs the clusters placed in Uppsala.
- More details in the afternoon about Organisational orienteering!
- Rackham (general purpose)
- Snowy (Long runs and GPU:s)
- Bianca (sensitive data)
- Miarka (new for LifeScience)
- Rackham (general purpose)
- On-load directly connected to the clusters
- Off-load for large data not needed for computation analysis anymore
- Dis (region EAST-1)
High Performance Computing — HPC¶
What is a cluster?¶
A network of computers, each computer working as a node.
From small scale RaspberryPi cluster...
- To supercomputers like Rackham.
- Each node contains several processor cores and RAM and a local disk called scratch.
The user logs in to login nodes via Internet through ssh or ThinLinc.
Here the file management and lighter data analysis can be performed.
- The calculation nodes have to be used for intense computing.
Summary about the three "common" UPPMAX clusters¶
|# Nodes (Intel)||486+144||228+
50 Nvidia T4 GPUs
10 nodes á 2
NVIDIA A100 GPUs
|Cores per node||20/16||16||16/64|
|Memory per node||128 GB||128 GB||128 GB|
|Fat nodes||256 GB & 1 TB||256, 512 GB & 4 TB||256 & 512 GB|
|Local disk (scratch)||2/3 TB||4 TB||4 TB|
|Login nodes||Yes||No (reached from Rackham)||Yes (2 cores and 15 GB)|
|"Project" Storage||Crex, Lutra||Crex, Lutra||Castor|
Overview of the UPPMAX systems¶
graph TB Node1 -- interactive --> SubGraph2Flow Node1 -- sbatch --> SubGraph2Flow subgraph "Snowy" SubGraph2Flow(calculation nodes) end thinlinc -- usr-sensXXX + 2FA + VPN ----> SubGraph1Flow terminal -- usr --> Node1 terminal -- usr-sensXXX + 2FA + VPN ----> SubGraph1Flow Node1 -- usr-sensXXX + 2FA + no VPN ----> SubGraph1Flow subgraph "Bianca" SubGraph1Flow(Bianca login) -- usr+passwd --> private(private cluster) private -- interactive --> calcB(calculation nodes) private -- sbatch --> calcB end subgraph "Rackham" Node1[Login] -- interactive --> Node2[calculation nodes] Node1 -- sbatch --> Node2 end
We will try the different forms to log in to Bianca!
- NAISS makes available large-scale high-performance computing resources, storage capacity, and advanced user support, for Swedish research.
- UPPMAX runs the local resources placed at Uppsala University
- A cluster consists of several inter-connected computers that can work individually or together.